Thursday, July 18, 2013

İzmir

Today was a very laid-back day. We started with an enormous, amazing breakfast at our pension (Pergamon Pension, highly recommended), then drove south to İzmir, the third largest city in Turkey with 2.7 million inhabitants. The drive was calm and uneventful, at least until we got closer to our hotel and encountered, once more, very narrow, bumpy roads. Our lodgings are in what Lonely Planet deemed an "unsalubrious" neighborhood, though we had no issues walking back after dinner. The price was great (~$40, including breakfast), but the hotel is definitely not what you'd call a looker: they're either remodeling or it's very ramshackle, and there's a single window in our room that overlooks an airshaft ("a la New York," said Marcos) and does absolutely nothing for light, which worked out quite nicely for my midday nap. Which was rudely interrupted by some musicians in the street outside, because there is absolutely no soundproofing. Everything seems clean, at least, but I'm glad we're only spending one night here!

Marcos went to the bazaar and clock tower while I was resting, and after we both showered we headed out to the waterfront (kordon). It was sunset, and the view was beautiful:
Sunset over the harbor
I was really hungry, and we ended up at some cafe along the waterfront, which had Italian food––not what I really wanted, but at that point I didn't much care. We ordered (pasta for me, a wrap for Marcos) and ate, but when we asked for the bill, they told us the prices had been in Euros. This was a lie, and Marcos requested to see the menu again and proceeded to argue with the waiter about what the symbol (Turkish lira symbol 8x10px.png, not €) meant, and ultimately triumphed. I was worried they would bring out an alternate menu with the prices in Euros, but they were not clever enough for that, thankfully! Should we ever eat at a nice-ish restaurant again, I'll be sure to photograph the menu we order from ;-)

Tomorrow after breakfast (no way it'll be as good as today's was, and I'll try to get the photos from Marcos soon!) we're heading to the Turkish Language Center so I can check it out, should I decide to study Turkish in Turkey next year. They said they have a break from 10:30 to 11:00 so I can talk with the students and teachers. Depending on how that goes, I may visit the Royal Turkish Institute as well, though they are much more expensive so I'll only do that if I don't like the TLC. Then we drive to Selçuk, where we'll be for 3 nights (hurray for continuity! and laundry!) to visit the ruins at Ephesus, and possibly Pamukkale (though the 7 hour round trip drive makes it less appealing). For now, to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment