Sunday, July 7, 2013

New York from a Different Perspective

This trip is the longest I'll have been in NYC to date, which does make for a different experience. I've seen most of the big sights on previous trips, and I usually have a ton of people I want to get together with. This time, though, the people who I want to visit aren't around the first few days, so this first weekend has been very laid-back. Part of that is also the heat––there are new and exciting things I could check out (like, um, all of Queens and most of Brooklyn?), but it's a bajillion degrees and humid as hell and all I want to do is huddle in L's a/c equipped apartment.

We ventured out yesterday to a rooftop bar (Pod 39), where I paid $13 for a cocktail and proceeded to sweat out my brains in 87 degree heat at 11:00 pm. The view was awesome, though, and the breeze helped a lot! I slept in late today before doing a bit of grocery shopping at a conveniently-located but horrifically-priced market. Now I have cookies! And breakfast supplies, because I can buy food like a normal person.
A normal person who likes cookies, obvs.

L and her man are at a dumpling party with people from his work, which I opted not to join. As much fun as dumplings are, I didn't really feel up to throngs of new people, and have instead relaxed in her apartment and done some reading. I finally went out and got some sushi (chirashi bowl) from Ayama, which was a short 5 minute walk from her apartment. Even that brief walk made me sticky and gross, but now my belly is happy!
And full of this!

Going to read another article or two and then take a quick shower––gotta rinse off the grime of the city! And then hopefully an early bedtime––I think I'm going to get to reunite with some Swatties starting tomorrow, which should be fun, but I need to be well-rested!

Any recommendations for places I absolutely HAVE to visit while I'm here? Anything from food to museums to shopping to sightseeing is appreciated :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment